Tuesday, May 17, 2011

808 #11 keychain "Spy camera"

I have grown dissatisfied with the quality of the MD80 clone (D001) "spy" camera I've been using as a helmet cam.

So, I ordered an 808 #11 keychain "spy" camera from ebay.

This one was slightly more expensive. ($40 including shipping!) It provides 720P HD video with the time stamp that I like. (HINT: look in model rocket and RC hobby sites for a replacement firmware if you DON'T like the date stamp)

This one takes a slightly differently formatted file to set the time.
It didn't come with any instructions so I had to figure it out on my own. (with the help of google and some RC hobbyists who got them before me.)

Basically, you need a file called timeset.txt
It should be 1 line long and should look like this:

2011-05-17 23:38:51

You can edit the file yourself in your favorite text editor, or just use my scripts:

Linux: 808date.sh
#!/bin/sh
DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d`
TIME=`date +%H:%M:%S`
echo "$DATE $TIME">timeset.txt
echo "808 #11 keychain camera date & time have been updated in the timeset.txt file."

Windows: 808date.cmd
@echo off
set YEAR=%date:~6,4%
set MONTH=%date:~0,2%
set DAY=%date:~3,2%
echo %YEAR%-%MONTH%-%DAY% %TIME:~0,8%> timeset.txt
echo "808 #11 keychain camera date & time have been updated in the timeset.txt file."

Just copy these files into the root folder (not DCIM, just stick them next to DCIM)
double-click the one for your operating system
eject the drive once you see the timeset.txt file appear
unplug it
turn it on
make a video
plug your keychain back into the USB
check that the timeset.txt is gone and the video has the right date and time.

[UPDATE June 2, 2011]
You can see some sample videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RodMacPherson
Videos after #8 are done with this HD keychain. From #13 on though they will not have Date and Time. I got the camera just a little bit wet in the rain a little while ago, and the clock has been "overclocked" ever since, counting seconds almost as if they were milliseconds. A clock that is always wrong is worse than no clock at all so I flashed it with one of the clock-less firmwares from the RCgroups.

[UPDATE April 7, 2012]
As some of you may have noticed, some of my helmet cam videos don't have a date stamp at all. You can remove it with firmware from the nicce people over at RCGroups.com

[UPDATE April 17, 2012]
Also... to add a little to the confusion with dates (as pointed out by E in the comments) The RC Groups firmwares that do leave the date on seem to use a different format for the txt file than the one that came on my camera. Now they expect it in YYYY-DD-MM HH:MM:SS instead of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS as before so, if your time is right and the year is right, but it always seems to have the wrong day and month try this:
@echo off
set YEAR=%date:~6,4%
set MONTH=%date:~0,2%
set DAY=%date:~3,2%
echo %YEAR%-%DAY%-%MONTH% %TIME:~0,8%> timeset.txt
echo "808 #11 keychain camera date & time have been updated in the timeset.txt file."
That should fix it. Of course, use E's suggestion if you are using a different date/time format on your computer.

Don't have a spy camera/dash cam yet? get one at DealExtreme.

6 comments:

takieto said...

Perfect. Ty!

Rod MacPherson said...

NP

Hope you enjoy your camera.
Take a look at
http://www.youtube.com/user/RodMacPherson
for example videos. My HD vids are with the 808, non-HD vids (the ones with black bars on the sides) are mainly done with the MD80.

E said...

Hello If you have UK date/time
Like So:
The current date is: 26/01/2012
Enter the new date: (dd-mm-yy)

please use this batch:

echo off
set YEAR=%date:~6,4%
set MONTH=%date:~3,2%
set DAY=%date:~0,2%
echo %YEAR%-%MONTH%-%DAY% %TIME:~0,8%> timeset.txt
echo "808 #11 keychain camera date & time have been updated in the timeset.txt file."

malcolm said...

After hours of searching net and trying different files, you .cmd file worked on my camera - now correctly updates date and time.
Many thanks Rob!
Malcolm Manchester UK

Rod MacPherson said...

Malcolm,
No problem. I like to share when I find a technical solution that I know others will be looking for.

Walti Schütz said...

I just created a 808time.cmd on my Win7 machine. But I do think what I write will be correct vor all Windows OS.

1) I think it should be pointed out more clearly, that you have to RUN (double-click) the file. Only then it will create the timeset.txt-file.

2) In my case I had to press F5 otherwise the directory was not updated - the file exists, but it will not show up.

3) In my case the camera deleted the timeset.txt automatically after having red the time (just doubleclick 808time.cmd anytime later you want to set the time again).

4) To get an even more precise time:
- manually edit timeset.txt (add 1 or 2 minutes)
- start the camera 5 second before the full minute is reached. It needs about 5 seconds till it reads the file!